Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Providence the Hard Way

Today was the first day of our trip/class in the east coast. We had several events, both good and bad. It all started early in the morning, about 4:45 AM when I arrived at Pinole Valley High School and I saw that only two other people were already here. I thought I was late, but actually I was relatively early compared to the others. One funny thing is how close my two bags were to the fifty pound limit.

Now, by the time we were at the airport, it was just smooth sailing. We were not late and I felt that this was going to be a breeze. It turns out it wasn’t because by the time we were on the second leg of the trip, I was just ready to leave.

When I arrived at Providence airport, strangely enough it didn’t feel like we were two thousand miles away. It was just a bit humid. The whole time I was hoping Ms. Bulls would get a rental car and she did! But that was our downfall.

After we found the hotel, we thought we would go to get some dinner then go to Wal-Mart. The place where we had dinner surprised me. I did not expect to see such a large mall in this city. I wish we had more time to go around, but it was late and it was closing time. That was a mistake trying to get to Wal-Mart because we couldn’t find it. We spent hours and hours and the whole time I was hoping for a miracle. We finally gave up and had been a little lost on the way back. I think we still benefited from being lost because we found a lot of possible places to visit and it taught me that Providence isn’t just a blank town in a small state, but it is a busy city with just as many things to do as there are weather patterns.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,

    For the record, you weren't 2,000 miles away. You were 2,680 miles. No wonder it felt like you were still at home.

    Sorry you all had such trouble finding the local WalMart. Being a strong union guy with a hatred for the community killing practices of WalMart, I'm glad they didn't get your money. I suppose it's inevitable, though, that sooner or later they're going to get our money. :-(

    I'm confused, though. Between the seven of you, no one had a smart phone or knew how to use the GPS and mapping services? Driving around aimlessly sounds like something I might do but you're all supposed to be smart kids.

    I hope you're all getting settled in before heading out to NYC in the morning.

    I hope you bring our camera and snap some nice photos.

    ReplyDelete