Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Class So Far

My biotechnology class so far has been very enjoyable. I always love my labs especially today in which I used my own blood to extract DNA. Work wise, I was only slightly prepared for this course because the lecture part covers most of what AP Biology has to offer. Not having taken AP Biology before, I was discouraged at first with the numerous technical terms but I studied with an open mind, absorbing all of the information I can and applying them in the lab. In fact, I enjoyed learning about DNA, plasmids, and their roles in today’s medical field.

In equipment terms, I haven’t had the need to use any extra equipment except for your standard lecture stuff-pens, notes, text-and provided lab utensils. Having a computer is helpful, but not necessary since the only thing you need to do with a computer is to type assignments up, check on homework and updates from the teacher.

So far, I have been able to keep up the labs but I find myself periodically asking for help since I don’t have a vast array of lab experience. I usually look for help from Austin, my lab table buddies, Mrs. Hall, and the T/A (teacher’s aide). Mrs. Hall has been especially help because she will take time out of her schedule to prepare the lab, clean up the lab, answer questions, and stay after class to answer further questions. This has been one of my favorite aspects of this class.

As far as the class goes, I’m positive that this class will help me in the future. After learning about DNA methylation and its role in regulating the gene expression in an organism, I’m eager in using my newfound knowledge and applying to real-world applications when I’m older.

1 comment:

  1. William,

    It's good to hear that you're getting something from the class. I know that a day doesn't go by where I don't wish I knew more about DNA methylation. Just kidding. I don't think about that but maybe once every couple of days. :-)

    I'm curious about just how prepared/unprepared you are for this course since you came in without having taken AP Biology. Do you think we ought to make that a prerequisite for future applicants? You're a good example of someone who can tell us best based on your own experiences.

    ReplyDelete