Sunday, June 20, 2010

Brown Orientation

We have finally arrived here at Brown University. I can't explain how happy I am to be here in this magnificent institute. The dorms are very plain and run down, but what can you expect from an old university. 

It was an experience going and meeting everyone. For the first time everyone around me wants to learn, or so I thought. It was interesting to hear the conversations that the other students had between themselves talking about their plans. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the students are intelligent and ready for their classes tomorrow but some are just her to meet girls/guys and have fun away from home.

I met my roommate along with her whole immediate family. Her parents and sisters were real nice and excited for not only their daughter, but also anyone else who was going to be in the program. Throughout the day this was the general mood. All the parents were here but I didn't have mine. I felt kind of left out and sad but I am just lucky to be here.

After meeting my roommate and getting settled we went to the orientation where we were told all of the rules and regulations. They then broke us up by our RA or residential director. I got to see where my class would be and where I would go to eat or study. I was less than surprised at the choice of food that we had. What was there looked good but I hope they change it up a little over the time that I am going to be depending on it for my food.

There are so many people here that I am not going to be able to meet all of them but I am sure going to try to. The campus is perfect with the little town feel and a great sense of community so even if I don't have them in my class I might be able to meet them at the book store.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    I can't speak to your own roommate but Brown has a lot of local kids who attend their summer programs where their parents can see them off right at the school. It would be nice for us to be able to do that, too, but part of what we're doing is preparing you all for that collegiate life where you're no longer living with your parents--where you're living on your own and taking responsibility for every part of your day. This will hopefully help you to become more of your own person.

    Tell us more about the food when you get a chance. I'm getting the impression that it's maybe just a small step up from prison food? We're not expecting a four star restaurant but we do expect a decent fare in the dining commons.

    When you return you'll be asked by us to fill out a detailed commentary about every aspect of this adventure and the food issue is definitely something you should comment on whether it's good bad or just plain food.

    It's a shame that you're already seeing some of your "classmates" who are treating this as 'college camp'. We advised you all early on that we expected a lot more out of all of you than what you're seeing around you. Had any of you been of that same mentality you'd be back home right now and not in Providence.

    ReplyDelete