Sunday, June 27, 2010

My New Friends

One of the reasons for why I like Brown so much right now is that I have been having a great time with these new friends I've made here.

Out of almost 1,000 students in this Brown Summer Program, I became friends with Santo first, on the first day I got here, at the orientation. Santo is a Chinese girl who was raised in China but at an American international school and is now studying in America as an international student. I found many similarities between us because we grew up in such similar backgrounds. Even though she has no Chinese accent when speaking English, I found out that she thinks in the same way I think -- the traditional Chinese way of thinking. She is one grade lower than me, but has taught me quite a few things. She is espcially a positive impact on the academic side, even though we are not taking the same class. I've learned that she is a hardworker in and outside of class -- always does homework and extra assignments and just never stops learning. Often she would come and knock on my door and ask me to go to the library together to study.

Another good friend I've made at Brown is Brandon -- a rising junior from Atlanta, Georgia. He is in my Techniques in DNA-based Biotechnology class, however, rather than influencing me in terms of doing well in class, he taught me some college surviving skills such as getting around the campus quickly, friend-making skills, and time management. I am glad that I met him and have him as a friend.

There are other awesome friends I've made at Brown, but I can talk more about them next time!

1 comment:

  1. Zijun,

    This such an inspiring blog. Everything you wrote as so positive and it sounds like this program is working out for you n so many levels.

    Keep up the good work both in class and out.

    ReplyDelete