Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day of DNA-Based Biotechnology Class

Today was the first day of class, as you can tell from the title. 

I walked into the assigned classroom, but when I got there I found out that they had scheduled two classes for the same lecture hall. Whoops on their part but we ended up in the nicest and newest lecture hall on campus which was located in the Life Science building. 

Our teacher is Dr. Hall and she is really enthusiastic. By the time this course is over I think she will be my idol. 

I am really glad that I took AP Bio this school year because without it I would have had no idea what was going on on her pre-course quiz. 

Before she gave us the quiz we played a game that I had never done before. We all wrote down one of our pet peeves on a sheet of paper and put it in a box. A person would randomly pick one of the slips of paper and read the pet peeve out loud. They would then have to guess who it was. 

Once the person failed at guessing the correct author, the person would identify themselves and tell us their name, where they are from, and why they have that pet peeve. 

It was interesting to see what people came up with and how unique some of them are. We had a lot of people in the class with pet peeves about grammar and punctuation, others had it about smacking gum, sneezing in their face, or sniffing. It was a great way to get to know my classmates and it really helped me feel more comfortable around them. 

I can already tell that I am going to have a great time in this class, especially since we have lab every day!

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    Perhaps you can put me in touch with those students who are peeved at others who neglect their punctuation, spelling and typos. They seem like my kind of people! :-)

    When you first described this little exercise I started to wonder if this was a hard science class or a social science class. As you continued with your description, though, I could see that this was a nice exercise to help break the ice and get you all to know something about each other. With only three weeks of class, you don't want to spend the first week breaking out of your shells.

    I'm sure that you're all in awe of the big time Ivy League universities but you saw first hand that even the biggies can screw things up. It has to be nice, though, to be moved to a modern lecture hall.

    Some of the classes we send our students to really don't require any specific prerequisite training but your's is one that needs it big time. When you interviewed, your interviews lasted three times longer than those for the other classes because we needed to be sure that you really knew something of the subject matter. Had you not convinced the panelists, you'd be sitting in your living room right now but you came through with flying colors. We have confidence in you, Megan.

    As you describe some of the things going on in your class, though, please remember that some of us aren't quite as bright as you are. I'm not asking you to dumb things down but at the same time I don't want us to get headaches trying to understand what you've written.

    Oh, and before I forget, have some fun every chance you get.

    ReplyDelete