Thursday, June 24, 2010

Greek?

A vital part of working in the business industry is teamwork. In general, every single career requires cooperation and teamwork, but marketing and international relations, without a doubt, needs cooperation in order to succeed. 

In school, we learn that earning an A on a project isn't all fun when your group mates don't do their part. The same applies for the real world. Everyone must speak up, pitch in, and be respectful and considerate of their peers' ideas and concerns. On forming groups and working with others, I've learned something about myself. Without a doubt, I prefer to work individually first and then meet up to assemble the puzzle pieces together. This way, everyone can have something to work with rather than work on.

This course has three team assignments. The first challenge is labeled: International Financial Crisis and Country Analysis. The task is to analyze the political and economic conditions of the particular region. 

Each team of 3-5 is asked to select a region and each member picks a country. Professor Li gave us an exception to have a group of 6 and we chose Western Europe as our region. Italy is the country of my choice. We will create a thirty minute power point presentation. 

When I first read the assignment, I thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Boy, was I wrong. Researching finances, stocks, and politics is much more difficult than researching "The Depression of 1930." 

This is my first time working with Economics so it is challenging to comprehend the vocabulary. I am still adjusting to the language, half of which I haven't heard of before and half of which typical everyday conversations don't use. My professor told us that this information probably sounds "Greek" to some of us, and indeed he was right. 

Those who are exposed to finances and marketing have been able to inevitably pick up this information quicker. Nevertheless, I am still making every effort possible to learn as much as I can and pickup as much as I can within the next two weeks or so. I know that I will be two-steps ahead of my peers in college after taking this course. It will then be my turn to answer questions and not be so intimidated by the context.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    All of us - Yueming and I - from Hercules say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Για τη ζωή μου, Stephanie, μπορώ? T καταλάβω γιατί πρέπει να δυσκολεύεστε να καταλάβετε όλα αυτά.

    I figured as long as you were being taught in Greek I'd write my coments in Greek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Ishmael, greetings from Providence! I know you will be having a wonderful time at the Big Apple with your Columbia group.

    Don, I may be learning greek, but I still had to pull out Google Translator this time.

    ReplyDelete