Saturday, June 26, 2010

Come One Come All!

Today was a special day. It felt as if all the stars aligned for us here at Brown. It could be, because all the other programs were here. The Colombians and Cornellians have arrived, and even though we do not get to see them, we do get to see more of the places we would like to go. It is also great to know that the brother of one of our Brownies, Austin, has a little piece of home close by.

Today was also the day of the presentation for our finance class. I had to work on my part about North Korea. The presentation itself is what I am proud of most. It contained many facts such as the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), inflation rates and other marketing calculations and instruments.

As for my ability to present, I think it was a very good performance. It was fun and it was a good thing I threw in music to give things more life. What was funny is that the group before us had done the same countries and had a “back and forth” between each other. The Professor really wanted us to compare our views on the country because the presentations were surprisingly different. Besides having a flag to open up the presentation, nothing was different.

In terms of personal things, when I woke up I could not talk. It was a really odd feeling, just opening up to say a word and all that came out was a wheeze. It might be a small cold but I will keep an eye out for that. I know that this is just another challenge, only this time, mom isn’t there to make sure I am well.

I know that having a connection with people outside the ILC is very important, but it is also important to know that the co-ILC members with you are your family for the next three weeks. The only people they have to turn to for a hug if they're homesick or a discussion on what time to meet the chaperone is the people part of the group. I know just like a family, it will be full of emotions, but it is important to not hide them, because if you do, then they will come out in a large explosion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Glad your presentation went well. I help the Columbians move into the dorms tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Sorry to hear about your loss of the voice. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

    Sounds like maybe you learned a little about group dynamics and the dog eat dog of corporate life. When you're competing against another group (or company) you have to make sure that the product you're selling is unique and just what the customer's looking for.

    ReplyDelete