Friday, July 9, 2010

Rewards of Keeping an Open Mind


Today we left earlier from our hotel to head off to visit Wellesley and Boston Colleges. At first I was not that excited about going to a college for all girls. I never really pictured myself liking an all girls school. I thought it would be far from what I was looking for. To my surprise, I fell in love with the college!

As soon as we all walked on the campus I felt really comfortable. I loved that Wellesley College has many trees. It really made me feel like I could belong there. As we were walking to the admissions office we met a young woman named Monica who talked to us about her experience in the college. She had recently graduated from the college. She told us that after a week you forget that you're in a college with all girls, since you're in a great student environment. Later on it turned out that she was the one giving us the informational session. Everyone there seemed really friendly and approachable.

From our information session, I learned that Wellesley College has a good economics program and that students are able to take classes at MIT and Olin College. I was really impressed with the college. I went in with an open mind and ended up feeling fascinated by it. I also learned that they have a really good internship program. Everyone there seems to be really connected with one another. The women are highly encouraged to do research. In the end I realized that I don't mind attending a college with all girls. It is really amazing to be able to have seminars and go to a school where freshman are able to have "big sisters" as their guidance.


Talking to a Wellesley Student on the T
After we finished going on our tour, we left to go to visit Boston College. While we were waiting for the T to come, we ended up having a conversation with three girls from Wellesley College. They told us about their experience in the college. One of the girls was actually from San Francisco. Another girl talked to me about the Economics program and that it happens to be one of the most popular majors in the college. I really like that since I plan on majoring in either Business or Economics.

Boston College
After visiting Wellesley College, we went to go visit Boston College. I really like the building' arcitecture. I think it was a really nice campus. I like that they have a good business program. That really caught my interest. However, I don't really think it's the best college for me since its a Catholic college. I don't really want to go to a religious school.

As soon as we arrived at out hotel, we had to quickly rush to get dressed because we we were going to meet Mr. Ramsey and Ms. Kronenberg at the L'Espeliar. The food there was delicious and I had a fun time talking with everyone. Ms. Kronenberg gave me a good suggestion on what would be good to ask on college tours.


Overall, today was the best day I've had so far in Boston. I really enjoyed going college visiting and having an amazing dinner with everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Lucero,

    I know I should start off by commenting on your trip to Wellesley and the impact it had on you but I can't get over the photos from your dinner.

    Everything I've read so far tells me that it was a very nice event with spirited conversations, outstanding service and great food (Lydia even got a piece of squirrel thrown in).

    When I look at your photos, though, I walk away hungry. I guess I come from a different place. When I go out to eat I'm less interested in presentation and more with the actual food. What's with these square plates and the swirls of sauces between the entrees?

    And can anyone please explain to me why it is that the more expensive the meals the smaller the portions? Maybe the sizes of the portions aren't all that important to a petite person like yourself but I'm still a growing boy and I need my sustenance [no comments on which direction I'm growing these days].

    In any case, while you were all eating that plate of rabbit food and nibbling on the appetizers, I was out in the backyard barbecuing some salmon and pork sirloin to go along with my fresh corn on the cob and baby red potatoes. And when I pushed my plate away at the end of the meal, I didn't have to look around for something else to fill the void in my belly.

    Well,now that I've dealt with the important stuff, maybe I can say something about how significant your visit to Wellesley was. ALL of you have written similar sentiments about how you can all see yourself there spending the next four years educating yourselves and becoming stronger people and women.

    I say that you need to look a lot more closely at Wellesley to learn more and if it's still to your liking then you need to apply.

    One thing I especially like about what you've all written about your college tours: you've only peripherally mentioned the campus itself and have focused more on the school and how it can benefit you by your attendance. That's what it's all about, Lucero. The buildings don't teach you a thing, the vast expanses of green grass and trees don't fill your minds with knowledge. It's the instructors, the programs and the mentality that make the difference. And you all seem to get that.

    ReplyDelete