Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day Is Over But Being Independent Is Not

I woke up to a beautiful morning just because I was able to sleep in on a Monday morning! Getting out of bed on a Monday morning to head to class is always the hardest but not this particular Monday. I was able to sleep in until 10:30 and woke everybody else up to eat breakfast, or early lunch at the V-Dub dining hall.

It’s the third and final week here at Brown University. For the past weeks, I have been adapting, living, and ultimately thriving here on the East Coast. It’s been a journey getting lost, getting out of bed, and getting a complete understanding of what it means to be “independent” in college.

Prior to coming here, I wasn’t intimidated or diffident by the fact that I would have to wake up myself, do my own laundry, or in general take care of myself. One cannot be independent overnight. It takes time and experience to become an independent young woman or man. For some, they are not used to doing their own laundry and are clueless as to how much detergent to put into the washer. For others including me, we can just begin pouring and know when to stop. Essentially, I can take care of myself for the most part except financially. Being independent comes with being financially independent also and I have yet to fulfill that aspect. I may be independent for the most part, but there is always room for improvement.

Taking classes at our local community college or even participating in more camps, clubs, and different organizations can strengthen various skills. Skills like leadership and public speaking can't really be found in a classroom setting. These skills are necessary to thrive in a college atmosphere because at the end of the day, you carry your own voice.

I am still finding myself and learning what it is to be independent in the real world. Leaving home for three-weeks is definitely a life-changing experience where one can find a sense of independence and keep that quality with them. College will be the first time that you become thrown out to the real world and it is up to you to overcome the obstacles. Being smart is key to a healthy and vital four years.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,

    There's no way to get experience except to jump in with both feet. You're all learning things that you wouldn't have had access to otherwise (except that whole laundry thing).

    You're right about the public speaking. The best class for that is the real world where you have to stand up and speak and you have to do it often. This is one of the reasons why we had you speak before your City Council, and we had representatives speak at your dinners and before the School Board. All of this was just practice for what you might have to do while her at Brown.

    You might recall that in the packet I sent all of you back in January I went over this very thing. I tried to make you all understand that everything we have you do is for a reason and is training for skills that can make your stay at the schools smoother for you.

    ReplyDelete