Monday, July 5, 2010

In•de•pen•dence Day


Today is July fourth, the day of independence. I usually do not have a big celebration but since I was back East why not celebrate it like them? I have heard of their big celebrations and great fireworks shows. The explosions of light and the sound of freedom were represented through the fireworks.

I have always thought that I was lucky to be an American. We have a form of democracy. We have rights and equalities. The country is not perfect but it is better than others. I have to say that I am glad to be an American. Many people are deprived of their rights and are not protected by law. I have the right to an education and without that right I wouldn’t be able to become the best that I can be. My education is precious to me. People had to fight for women to have the same education as men. We are not only a country with independence but we have independent people within the country. If there were not women who were willing to be independent in their thinking and actions then I would not be here at Brown. My pursuit to further my education will not put the other's hard work to waste and I will help continue to fight for freedom and independence with the education that I receive.

The Fourth of July is a time for all of us to think of what others have done for us and the opportunities that we have because of them.

Thanks to those who have worked so hard to get America is where it is today and those who are fighting to make it better.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    Let freedom ring! There's nothing free about freedom. It's cost a lot of people dearly and we can never forget that.

    ReplyDelete