Friday, July 9, 2010

Final Salutations and Farewells

Today was the last day at Brown. It seemed like a regular day -- getting breakfast, brushing my teeth, talking with friends, etc. but I knew it was the last time to do all the things I wanted to do at Brown. It's funny how you have so much time but you decide to do everything at the last minute. I wasn't an exception.

I came into this program in the beginning with thought and anxiety, thinking that I would be confused, lost, and mystified by all the commotions of college life and class. Meeting new people seemed like a long distance away from my comfort zone; my fellow IlC group was no better. I had high expectations going into this program. I thought I'd learn what all other scientists learned in the field of biotechnology. I'd also thought I'd be surrounded by award-winning scientists and influential people.

The first day of Brown was very nerve-racking. Students like me walked around, observing and judging people. I felt like everyone was elitist and had intelligence levels off the charts. When I was introduced to the dorms and my RA I was like hey, I can live here in my little cozy room with a guardian overlooking me. I slept that night very comfortably and anxiously for the first day in class.

The biomedical building is literally a walk across the campus from Keeney Quad, which is our dorm. As I walked down the steps from the 4th floor to the 1st floor, my heart thumped every step of the way. Entering the classroom gave the same results: even more heart thumping and a tension building within me. I greeted Mrs. Hall and our TA, Itsuka, and sat down in my respective seat. After Mrs. Hall announced the Pet Peeves assignment where you share your own thing that you hated the most, I felt more connected and relaxed with and about the class.

The class work, for the first week, consisted of reading and reading. I highlighted all of the important information through each reading. I thought ok, reading is straightforward and not really difficult to do except locaating details. When the 2nd week came, the class work gradually became lab studies and analysis. I thought that the best learning experience from this class was from the labs. Through the labs and analysis, I developed a better understanding of what is happening in labs and how to work in a lab in biotechnology terms.

As far as the social life goes, I attended various socials such as the ice cream socials and RA meetings. I encourage everyone who's new coming into Brown to attend these socials because I met numerous new people and friends. I also learned that everyone has a different story to say like Josh who is my RA. Josh described his high school life as not being college-oriented enough in his 9th and 10th grade classes. Starting from his junior year, he jumped on visiting colleges and determining where he wanted to go. Brown found him and he's trying to finish an 8 year medical degree.

As I'm writing this blog, I feel deep remorse because I won't see my friends at Brown and all of the cool aspects of college. I know that I didn't leave without anything; I left with friendships and a sense of community. As for my fellow peers across America, I'll be sure to share my experiences and what Brown gave me: experience in college life, how to be successful, what to do and what not to do, and various college information that will make or break some students. As my job as messenger comes down to the last 2 days, I would like to thank all of the people who have helped me over the past 4 weeks. You guys are awesome!!!!! I'll be sure to get some pictures and information about Harvard tomorrow. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. William,

    Every step we take can either be a step forwards or a step backwards.

    You've just completed a three step while at Brown and only you can decide whether it's a step forwards or a step backwards.

    Now you have to decide what you're going to do with all of this newfound knowledge, wisdom, education, and the friends you made. You can nurture it all and see it blossom or you can ignore it only to see it wither and die before your eyes.

    I hope you keep us in the loop as you make those decisions.

    ReplyDelete