Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Today I started my final independent project for my Techniques in DNA-based Biotechnology class. It took me a long time just to encourage myself to challenge this independent project because it seemed pretty difficult.
The purpose of our project was to knock out a part of a plasmid by inserting something new. There were several methods to eliminate the expression of that part of the plasmid. We could either silence the gene expression or that part or physically replace the target piece with another physically matching plasmid piece.
I chose the second method. I decided to cut both plasmids using same restriction enzymes and make a recombinant DNA. Today I just finished cutting them and now I am waiting for them to ligate.
I am on the right track so far and I hope I can get some good results.