Monday, May 17, 2010

Italian Food and Brown Admissions Officers

The brunch was such a great event that truly gave me the insight on everything: the West Contra Costa Unified School District, the Ivy League Connection, Brown University and the many people who devote themselves to all of these things. I realized that our district is trying very hard to help deserving students get to where they can be. They place in our minds that those who dream big can really accomplish what they have the potential for.

When the Brown Admissions officers were talking about their passions for Brown, many of the things they said were the exact things I hope to have once I am in college. What Mercedes Domenech and Elizabeth Hart were explaining about Brown really held my attention: the open curriculum, the unity among the students, the types of study abroad programs, the rigorous academics and so much more that makes Brown such an amazing university. 

I am especially interested in the Portuguese studies department as I plan to major in that area and language. Mercedes was excellent in that she provided a great way for me to contact the head professors there. It goes to show that the Brown staff are incredibly helpful and open to students for questions and concerns. I am glad that they took the time to come to the Bay Area and have a meeting with us; I genuinely feel that it was an event I definitely couldn't have missed.

When Mr. Medrano spoke about the reasons why it is important to persevere and to endure hardships, especially to those of us who are minorities and low-income, I felt the same passion he holds towards equitable education for all. It's important to motivate students, even when they are young, like Linda Cohen, principal of Coronado elementary school, said. I am definitely planning to come visit the elementary school once I return from Brown to inspire these young and smart minds that they can go anywhere they want if they put their minds to it.

In retrospect and in simple words, the brunch was a cherished event for me. My passion for Brown has deepened and I find myself wanting to attend there even more. I can hardly wait for July to come around and arrive in Rhode Island for the time of my life. Again, I would to thank everyone for their support and enthusiasm towards us. Everyone like Mr. Ramsey, Ms. Kronenberg, Mr. Medrano, and everyone else on the school board as well as the Brown alumni who took the time to take questions from us did an incredible job of making the brunch a successful one. I appreciate it so much and I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lupe,

    All I can say is "Wow". Sounds like what we're doing is having an impact on you. That's great to know and great to hear.

    When you return from Brown I hope we can count on you to go out into your community and testify to others about what's out there and available to them so they can see that their lives aren't defined by the limitations of this community.

    ReplyDelete