Thursday, April 15, 2010

Officially and Completely Leaving for Brown!!

I am very pleased and excited to know that our school board gives us their full support of the
Ivy League Connections program as well as their approval of our upcoming trip
to Brown. The support of
Mr. Antonio Medrano, Ms. Audrey Miles, Mr. Tony Thurmond, Ms. Kronenberg, Mr. Ramsey, Don, and Mr. Harter has sincerely made me grateful of being offered such an exciting and rewarding opportunity.

Although I was not thoroughly aware that the trip still had another test to pass, I am delighted to hear that it had passed its last phase. Writing those emails was a pleasure as it let me express my gratitude towards few of the many people who put their hard work and effort into providing experiences like this to other students. I love to acknowledge and thank those who provide an excellent service to students.

The confirmation of going to Brown has prompted me to reflect on my thoughts and goals of what I plan to do once I set foot in Rhode Island. I hope to further develop myself as a student leader and gain an understanding of distinguishable women in our history. And most importantly, I plan to take what I learn at Brown and apply to my life and community back here in Richmond.

I am very excited to be going to Brown! I can not wait!

2 comments:

  1. This is a nice post Guadalupe. You always need to reflect and then decide how you will move forward in life. This course will allow you the opportunity to see yourself and saw who am I. Most people fail to take a look in the mirror and say how can I make a difference.

    I want you to be the change that you want to be. How will you return to Richmond High School and help shape the school so that it is known for all that is good rather than the problems that continually plague our community.

    Your statement about not being aware of the final hurdle caught my attention and cried out to me that discussing with you the need to always be curious and ask the next question. Too often we make assumptions in life and that can come back to bite us.

    I am sure that many of your colleagues made assumptions. I am sure that those assumptions are being challenged, I hope that they are and that you will give Brown an honest and open look. I want you to visit the East Coast with an open mind. A failure to do so will just convince many that sending students from inner city communities to these world renowned institutions is a waste.

    I hope that you continue to engage in reflective practices and continue to share with us your opinions.

    Enjoy the balance of your evening.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lupe,

    I honestly really like your writing. I understand your ideas so clearly.

    ReplyDelete