Sunday, April 17, 2011

New York--an exciting adventure and my possible future?

As I lay in bed last night, my excitement deprived me from obtaining the proper sleep. I could not believe that I was going to come to New York! Enthusiastically I got up at 3 AM, so I could make sure that my belongings were ready. I did not want to miss my flight, so my mother, Maria Perez, and I arrived at the San Francisco airport at 4:30 AM. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6 AM.

Once we were checked in, I started to feel the lack of sleep starting to have an effect on me. However, that was not a problem, since it is a case that coffee can easily solve. The only issue is that I am still feeling a little sick. I have had a slight cough and headache throughout this week, but with my handy inhaler packed in front of my bag, I feel prepared to take on this adventure.

The reason for my travel to New York is so I can visit one of my top college choices: Wagner College, located in Staten Island. I had not heard of Wagner until my college advisor, Sue Kim, told me about it. In one of our weekly meetings, I commented to her that I found New York appealing (especially since I intend to be a business major) and she told me that she had visited a great small, liberal arts college named Wagner College.

After having the marvelous experience of taking part of the summer program at Brown University this past summer, I realized that I wanted a college with small class sizes. So when Sue Kim advised me about Wagner College, the size of the school really captured my interest. There are less than 2,000 students—I like that. I want to be able to approach my professors to ask for help when I need further elaboration or clarification on a subject.

Wagner College is indeed one of my top two choices, but I am currently really undecided on my college choice. I have done my homework and researched as much as I possibly can on Wagner, but that is still not enough. I like Wagner a lot, but I want to see if it feels right for me. I want to make sure that I make the best choice for myself. Therefore, I asked the Ivy League Connection if they could pay for my flight to come visit Wagner College. As supportive as they always are, they agreed to make the arrangements. With their help, I will be able to come to a better decision for my future college.

So far, Staten Island is really relaxing. The hotel that we are staying in is really nice and has a peaceful feel to it. Today we will take some time to relax. I am still feeling a little sick, but I am really excited for tomorrow. I talked with the hotel clerk and she said that Wagner College was “simply beautiful”. Those words brought out the kid in me because now all I can think about is going to visit Wagner College tomorrow.

I really like the fact that Staten Island has a quiet and nice feel to it. I can see myself living in a suburban environment. I realized that New York looks so much like San Francisco, which is good because it makes me feel welcomed and at home.

I can’t wait for campus tour tomorrow at 1 PM. I have also made arrangements to meet with my financial aid officer at 2:30 PM, so some of my questions (regarding my financial aid letter) can be answered. At the same time, it will be the perfect time for me to ask any other questions about Wagner that I may have. I want to be sure that I am going to reside in a college, for the next four years, in where I feel comfortable living in. I am anxious and excited to see if I will be part of Wagner College’s Class of 2015. This trip will definitely help me make the right decision. I hope for the best. I will upload pictures tomorrow of the college.

I would like to thank the Ivy League Connection for making this trip possible. I greatly appreciate all your help in everything. This program has definitely expanded my horizons and has helped me realize that there is much more to look in a college. I never thought that I would be here in New York this year trying to make my college decision. Once again, I truly thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment