Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Realization and NYC

I woke up with a single thought in mind yesterday: I’m going to visit Wagner College! I was really excited and anxious to go, but I had to wait until 1 PM for my campus tour. Since we were hungry, my mother and I had breakfast in our hotel. We relaxed for a little while and then called for a taxi at noon. The taxi arrived promptly and took us to our destination.

I got to Wagner College at about 12:30 PM. I wanted to get there earlier because I was super anxious to check out the college. I really wanted to see the college that was possibly going to be my future college. I needed to know if I would feel comfortable being there.


-The first campus building while walking to the Admissions Office-

As soon as I arrived there, I noticed that it was a nice and small college. It looked really cute in appearance and I liked that. I took advantage of my time and walked around with my mother for a while. There were some college students walking around, but not that many since most were in their classes.

Here are some pictures of the marvelous view that I saw while walking around:





-Their tennis field-




-Campus Clock-




The campus was small and easy to get around. It was really calm there and I knew that it had a good relaxing feel to it. I went to Wagner College expecting the best. I wanted to fall in love with it as soon as I walked there, but sadly I did not. That really saddened me. I did not feel that comfortable there as I had expected. It was an amazing small college, but it somehow did not provide me the feel I wanted at that time.

I still ignored this feeling because I really wanted to give Wagner College a chance. It was 12:50 PM, so I told my mother that it was time to head back to the Admissions Office. The Admissions Office had a very nice feel. This is where I felt more comfortable to be here. I started to look at previous Wagner College year books. I started to think to myself, “Can I picture myself being here for the next four years?” I was still unsure.

The Admissions Office:



Then the clock hit 1 PM. It was time to go and take the Campus Tour. A really nice, freshman young lady show us around. I got to ask questions regarding Wagner College. How were the dorms there? How were the meals? I already had an idea of the academics side of Wagner College, but now it was time to learn about the student life there.

We went to see a dorm. The view was simply lovely! I was able to see Manhattan through the dorms window. I asked, “Do all dorms have this wonderful view?” Our guide told us that most of the dorms did have this view. I thought that was really nice to know. The dorms themselves were not in the best conditions, but they were quite livable.

We finished our tour at about 1:45 PM, so then I headed off to the Information Session that was provided. There I realized that a lot of the students that were with me on the tour were really interested in theater. I thought that was really interesting to know. I told the man from the Information Session that I intended to major in business. He told me that business was really popular here, something that I had already read about while doing my college research.

I was reminded about the Wagner Plan while being here. This plan allows me to explore from different fields. I really like that this school is a liberal arts school. Even though I am really interested in business, I really do want to explore other fields. I am open to learning new things.

The Wagner Plan was probably one of the main attractions that I realized I had. Wagner College is a great school, but after the Information Session was done I still was not so sure about the feel I had about it. It was a mixture of emotions. I truly loved the academic side to Wagner, but I was not so fond of the student life here.
I want to be able to go to a college in where I feel really comfortable, as I have said many times before. I am really sad to know that Wagner did not entirely provide me that feel. However, I still think that it is a great school, just not my future college. After coming to New York to see Wagner, I have realized that Wagner isn't the one.

In the end, I did not get the results I was hoping. I really was considering coming to Wagner. Truthfully, if it were not for this trip I probably would have chosen Wagner College. I was really excited about the opportunities that Wagner could provide me. All I ever did was talk about Wagner to my fellow classmates back in California. I probably really annoyed them by talking a lot about Wagner, but that was just because I was really excited about this college.

I am really thankful that the Ivy League Connection allowed me to come to Wagner College, so I could make the right decision for myself. If it were not for this trip, I probably would have chosen a school that was not meant for me. This trip has really been a great learning experience. I will always treasure this trip and be thankful to the ILC for helping me through my college decision process.
---
After we finished our tour, my mother and I decided to go to the city so we could go exploring. It has always been a dream of mine to see Wall Street, so we went there. We walked around the area and really got to get the feel of the city. It reminded me a lot of San Francisco, but I just realized that there are a lot more people speed walking here. New York is definitely a beautiful place to come to see. I am sad that I will not be able to call New York my home for the next four years; nonetheless, I will still remember this once in a life time experience.

Once again, I am extremely thankful to the ILC for making this trip possible. My horizons have expanded greatly. I really did want to be able to say that Wagner College was meant for me, but sadly it is not. I feel a little bummed about that, but I am also really glad that I realized the truth.

Today my mother and I are off to continue exploring New York City. I will post more pictures up later on tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment